Welcome to the website of Debbie Cannon, actor and writer. On this site you can find out more about my acting work, including my award-winning solo performance play Green Knight and my new solo play The Remarkable Deliverances of Alice Thornton. You can also read all about my writing, which includes poetry, drama, and children’s fiction.
What I’m doing at the moment –
2021 finished with three sets of good news for work next year –
- I’m very grateful to Summerhall for their offer of free space for a week as part of their Summerhall Space programme – I’ll be working there in January to develop a new solo piece called Explorers, about OCD and parenting.
- I’m over the moon to be slected for the Playwrights’ Studio Scotland mentoring programme in 2022. The programme means I’ll be supported by Playwrights’ Studio to complete the draft of a new play during the coming year.
- In early February I’ll be working with the brilliant Jen McGregor and a wonderful team on a scratch of Jen’s play Star Cuddie for the Manipulate Festival’s Snapshot event.
I’m also doing some re-writing on some children’s fiction, and developing applications for funding and/or space.
What I’ve been up to recently –
- I’ve just finished some script-writing work for Middling Culture working alongside other writers to create character voices for a digital seventeenth century room.
- Some voiceover work with the excellent Canongate Studios.
- Audio drama work for Citadel Arts Group’s Leithers One Family project in June 2021 – you can hear the audio plays here.
- In June 2021 I re-joined Shoreline of Infinity’s Inifitesimals for the latest Zom play instalment of the Flux Diaries at Cymera Festival.
- Also in June 2021 I wrote and recorded an episode of collaborative filmed drama series The End. You can watch my episode, You Don’t Own Me, and all the other episodes from brilliant Scottish writers, actors and directors, here.
- In May 2021 I did a one-off performance of Green Knight for the students of the brilliant Edinburgh Acting School.
- In April and May 2021 I did a fantastic course with Christopher Edge and Writers & Artists on middle grade fiction
- Developing ideas for a new play and editing my own middle grade fiction
I’m hoping to add some news on upcoming performances here soon. In the meantime, Three Voices, three short filmed monologues written for Buxton Fringe 2020, are available online and you can watch them here.