Welcome to the website of Debbie Cannon, actor and writer. On this site you can find out more about my acting work, including my award-winning solo performance play Green Knight and my new solo play The Remarkable Deliverances of Alice Thornton. You can also read all about my writing, which includes poetry, drama, and children’s fiction.
Thank you to everyone who came to see Green Knight at the Scottish Storytelling Centre in the 2022 Edinburgh Fringe!
Next, we’re taking Green Knight to Dundee Fringe! Come and see us on Saturday 24th September at 7 pm at Dock Street Studios. You can find out more, and buy tickets, here.
What I’m doing at the moment –
- I’ve just finished a wonderful run of my award-winning solo show, Green Knight, at the Scottish Storytelling Centre at in the 2022 Edinburgh Festival Fringe. You can read our reviews and find out more on the Green Knight web-page.
2021 finished with two sets of good news for work next year –
- I’m very grateful to Summerhall for their offer of free space for a week as part of their Summerhall Space programme – I worked there in January to develop a new solo piece called Explorers, about OCD and parenting.
- I’m over the moon to be selected for the Playwrights’ Studio Scotland mentoring programme in 2022. The programme means I’ll be supported by Playwrights’ Studio to complete the draft of a new play during the coming year.
I’m also doing some re-writing on some children’s fiction, and developing applications for funding and/or space.
What I’ve been up to recently –
- Recording audio for Music for First Contact, a choose-your-own-adventure space opera by the brilliant Post Coal Prom Queen at the 2022 Hidden Door Festival.
- Performing a short audio drama, Spiked, by the always excellent Ben Blow of Reality Funds Theatre, for Shoreline of Infinity at the 2022 Cymera Festival.
- I was one of the team of actors for the brilliant Tandem Writing Collective in Tandem at the Traverse in April 2022.
- I was privileged to read as the voice of Iona McGregor for the Lavender Menace/LGBT Health and Wellbeing event, Iona McGregor: Friends in Conversation About Her Life and Work.
- In early February 2022 I worked with the brilliant Jen McGregor and a wonderful team on a 10 minute work-in-progress film of Jen’s play Star Cuddie.
- I carried out some script-writing work for Middling Culture working alongside other writers to create character voices for a digital seventeenth century room.
- Some voiceover work with the excellent Canongate Studios.
- Audio drama work for Citadel Arts Group’s Leithers One Family project in June 2021 – you can hear the audio plays here.
- In June 2021 I re-joined Shoreline of Infinity’s Inifitesimals for the latest Zom play instalment of the Flux Diaries at Cymera Festival.
- Also in June 2021 I wrote and recorded an episode of collaborative filmed drama series The End. You can watch my episode, You Don’t Own Me, and all the other episodes from brilliant Scottish writers, actors and directors, here.
- In May 2021 I did a one-off performance of Green Knight for the students of the brilliant Edinburgh Acting School.
- In April and May 2021 I did a fantastic course with Christopher Edge and Writers & Artists on middle grade fiction
- Developing ideas for a new play and editing my own middle grade fiction
I’m hoping to add some news on upcoming performances here soon. In the meantime, Three Voices, three short filmed monologues written for Buxton Fringe 2020, are available online and you can watch them here.